This week’s adult Sunday School topic is: The Edgy and Dark Sides of Martin Luther; or The Things Martin Luther Said that Make Us Squirm. This is the sixth in a seven week series on Lutheranism* that I am teaching at my internship congregation, St John’s by the Gas Station. I hope to have the class break into small groups – I’ve averaged about 40 people in the class – to wrestle with various nasty Luther quotes about Jews, Muslims, the Pope, the peasants, and other classes he assailed at times in his ministry. This is not meant to beat up on Martin Luther. Rather, my goal is twofold:
- Expose the class to some of the nasty things Luther said and help them contextualize and appropriately critique Luther; and,
- Use these nasty quotes – along with the many wonderful quotes I’ve used in previous weeks – to discuss our relationship with Martin Luther. Just because Martin Luther said something, do we as 21st Century American Lutherans believe it?
I am still developing this class – ie, I’ve got nothing so far. If you have any nasty Luther quotes to share or insights into the topic, please share here! Thanks.
- – –
* The topics for the full seven-week series are:
- Intro to Lutheran Theology;
- Spirituality of Luther (guest speaker);
- Some Lutheran History (Mosaic video);
- Lutheran Worship & Sacraments;
- Daily Faith;
- The Edgy and Dark Sides of Martin Luther; and next week,
- Why America Needs Lutheranism (& Vice Versa).