Major Announcements!!!

Major announcements?  Wow!  I’m sitting on the edge of my seat!  What’s going on?

We’re moving to the Washington DC area in August.  For the short-term (18 months or so) we’ll rent an apartment in Fairfax, VA, though we may eventually settle anywhere in the metro DC region.  Washington DC has always been on our short list of places to settle down.  And now that Washington is a National League city and Democrats are in control of Congress, it is pretty much perfect.

Why move?  Surely it’s not for the baseball.

We’re not moving to DC because they have a lousy National League baseball team – we have one of those here in Philadelphia.  And the Democrats?  Well, they’ll come and go.  We’re moving to DC because my wife was offered a position as a seminary professor of Christian Formation (somewhat akin to traditional Christian Education, but much more in dialog with the faith practices conversations and interested in formation, discipleship and spirituality as part of the Christian life).  She’ll be working her butt off this fall to finish her doctoral dissertation, and begin teaching in January.

Well, that’s exciting.  What will you do?

I plan on blogging, playing with the children, and learning the names of the minor leaguers that constitute the Washington Nationals.  In addition to those things, I will be a full-time intern at a church in Northern Virginia.  This is a 12-month congregational internship and the final requirement before I seek approval for ordination.

Those are major announcements.  Anything else?

Well, we’re getting a minivan because . . . you can’t put three car seats in the back of an Altima.

Wait a minute.  I’m kinda slow on the up-keep.  Three car seats?  What does this mean?

We’re having another baby, due on November 12.  We’ll learn the gender late next month.  We’re currently mining the Bible for obscure names to go along with our daughters’ names, Talitha and Cana.  (See this post from last July for our baby name criteria.)

This entry was posted in Family, Vocation. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Major Announcements!!!

1. LP says:

Wow!!! I mean, a move, a new job and a new baby…could you make any more substantial?
    Congrats to you all!

Wow, all good stuff, except the Nationals, but what a lot of adjustments and work at one time. Watch the stress level there. All these things sound like a full time job in themselves.
    (well, duh, he says.)

3. Holy crap!!
    That’s an awful lot–congrats to the wife!
    Well, enjoy Northern Virginia; I hear that part of Nigeria is *wonderful* this time of year…

4. Caelius Spinator says:

Congratulations! That’s wonderful news on all three counts.

5. reztib says:

Congrats on the soon-to-be Duckworth trifecta (sp?) Remember, the Nationals are the Expos,… I guess that really didn’t mean anything. Congrats to your wife and family.

6. Just talked to M who’s in your general area for the weekend… She said we need to give you guys the whole banana/condom talk; I told her at this point it wouldn’t do much good… 😉

7. John Kahler says:

Congratulations to you all! DC is a great place, my brother works for the USDA (though he still lives outside Baltimore, it’s so much less expensive and he takes MART for the commute) yet remains a lifelong and long-suffering Phillies fan, and have a good friend who lives in Bethesda and is a teacher in Fairfax VA schools. God’s abundant blessings, you guys are just moving along! – John

8. LP says:

BTW, we bought a minivan last year. If you want to talk minivan shopping, shoot me an email.

9. BobF says:

Wow. Congratulations to all! We’ll miss you ’round these parts.

10. liz says:

Good gracious! You guys make me tired. 😉 I’m so thrilled for you on all counts!

11. Pink Shoes says:

Wow — that’s a lot of news!! Congratulations on all!

12. Lee says:

Congrats on all that wonderful news!
    Our household is relocating to DC in July as fate would have it. Maybe we can meet up some time (though, from the sounds of things you’ll be plenty busy!).

13. Ross says:

Congratulations! Lots of transition. Lots of fun.
    Also send congratulations to your wife.

14. Ruthre says:

Wowzah! And I was just going to email you about me coming out to Philly for a visit in Sept!