David tagged me for the Five Things My Children Should Know meme. This comes at a wonderful time – just as I finish up a summer of spending oodles of time with the kiddos. So here it is – The Five Things My Children Should Know:
- Nothing Can Separate Us From the Love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. OK, this topped David’s list, too, but it is my favorite verse in the Bible and just about covers everything we need to know about our relationship to God. OK, maybe not everything, but the most important part – we can’t get away from God.
- Look left. Look right. Look left again. These are the directions I give my daughter when she crosses the street on foot or on her new training-wheels-equipped bicycle. I want my children to know how to be safe, how to watch out for danger, and how to cross the streets of life safely and confidently.
- Love and respect others. We have so much to learn from other people. I want my children to be interested in and respectful of other people and other cultures. I want them to expect to learn something from their neighbor, their teacher, their friend, a complete stranger, a bum on the street . . . and to find something in that person that is admirable, loveable, even holy.
- Yet at the same time, I want my children to know when to defiantly say "Screw ’em!" Excuse the language, but I want my kids to know when it’s time to buck the system and reject peer pressure or societal expectations or unhealthy family dynamics or anything else that will try to put them down or minimize their God-given gifts and opportunities. I want them to be strong enough to go out on a limb for the sake of justice, integrity, honesty, truth, sanity or most any liberal cause.
- The Infield Fly Rule; what a 6-4-3 Double Play is; and, the Designated Hitter is a Satanic Ploy. OK, so I’m trying to fit alot into #5. But I want my children to know about baseball and, more importantly, by seeing the fun my wife and I derive from our love of baseball I hope our children can develop their own hobbies, passions and interests. As long those hobbies, passions and interests include green pastures, bats, balls and gloves.