My son, Naaman, was born today. But I note a few other significant events on this day:
- the birthday of my favorite candidate for president, Governor Bill Richardson;
- the day that Barry Bonds was indicted for perjury;
- the day that our hospital banned smoking on its campus (you know you’re in a tobacco state when it takes a hospital until 2007 to ban smoking!)
I was particularly pleased to hear about the Bonds indictment, because my girls and I each have significant baseball events connected with our birthdays.
- I was born on November 25, sharing a birthday with Baseball Hall of Famer Joe Dimaggio.
- Tali, our oldest child, was born on July 21, 2003. A pitcher named Brandon Duckworth (no relation) started for the Phillies that night (but lost against the Mets). My in-laws were at the game.
- Cana, our middle child, was born on July 31, 2006, at 12:22am. My wife began labor on July 30, the same day my favorite ballplayer – Bobby Abreu – was traded from the Phillies to the Yankees. We are as yet uncertain whether the news of his trade contributed to the onset of labor.
- Naaman, our youngest child, was born today, November 15, 2007 – the same day that Barry Bonds was indicted for perjury and obstruction of justice.
What a great day – most significantly, of course, because it is the day that Naaman James came into my life.