Draft Sermon Evaluation Form

This is the draft evaluation form for my internship committee to use when I preach.  Please share your thoughts on this form, on what you look for in a sermon, on how you evaluate someone’s preaching.

– – – – –

Intern Sermon Evaluation Form

St John’s By the Gas Station

Date:

Sunday in Church Year:

Biblical Texts:

– – – – –

What Good News did the preacher proclaim?

Was the topic/content of the sermon relevant to you and/or
to the congregation? If so, how?

Did the sermon do any of the following?

• Engage your intellect
  • Stir your emotions
  • Inspire you to action

How were biblical texts used in the sermon?

How were other elements of worship – church season,
sacraments, liturgy, hymns – used in the sermon?

How did the preacher move from the biblical text (and/or church
season, sacraments, liturgy, hymns) to our present situation?

What was the balance between:

• biblical text (and/or church season, sacraments, liturgy, hymns)
  • personal experience/perspective/insight of preacher
  • larger world (literature, film, television, newspaper, society, etc)?

Evaluate the sermon’s delivery (scale of 1-5, 1 being the lowest, five the highest)

• facial and bodily expression of preacher
  • volume
  • inflection
  • enunciation
  • speed

Please note any major strengths and weaknesses of the sermon
here:

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Draft Sermon Evaluation Form

1. Earl Janssen says:

I believe sermons need to be memorable. You might ask certain people randomly to recall your sermon at some time later in the week, and comment on it then. That’s when it will matter.

2. Earl Janssen says:

Oh, one more. Sermons are no longer auditory experiences only. Are you able to engage in at least some references to other styles of learning or experience? Tactile, visual, etc. Does the language of preaching engage at least the imagination of these other senses?

3. Chris says:

Thank you, Earl.
    My church is equipped with a digital projector, and later in the year I hope to incorporate visual imagery – not just simple power point slides of text – into my preaching. Overall I’m inclined to believe that preaching is a spoken thing, whereas the senses are stimulated and engaged by the liturgical action of worship. But again, since I have this unique opportunity on internship to use the digital projector, I hope to experiment with the interplay of preaching and visual media.
    Thanks!

4. David says:

This is a good form. My internship committee and I made one up as well. But I would offer to you that you should hand out sermon evaluation forms to people other than your committee as well. You will want to know what the congregation thinks.
    I asked many people during the course of my internship year to evaluate my sermons and the insight and feed back I received was well worth it. Surprisingly enough, not everyone liked my sermon each time I preached. Information well worth knowing.

5. Does the sermon tell a good story?

These are good questions, but they might be a bit too complex for some people at first. Perhaps you could also add some check off items.
    For they way my mind works, I need a visual metaphor to really remember a concept. Sometimes this might be an actual item that the pastor shows or describes. More often it is a concept that I understand better because the preacher describes the concept comparing it, for example, with something physical I can see in my mind. I suppose that it similar to Jesus using parables.
    I have heard any number of sermons that I thought were “good” while I was listening to them, but later, I couldn’t remember the main points because I had nothing to picture to get me started in my remembrance. I actually had the same problem/success when I went to counselors. One used abstract language to describe what was going on with me, but it wasn’t helpful because I couldn’t remember a thing when I left her office. The other one used descriptions and viseral images that I could see in my mind and feel with my senses, so to speak.
    When sermons really touch me and they also have visual metaphores, I often remember the key points for years.
    Powerpoint, etc. would only be so much hot air if the images don’t “grab” me with their meaning. And it would be too too easy to have too too too many images. I think a less is more approach would be better for a sermon.

7. Steve Martin says:

Chris,
    I believe a good sermon is one that slays the old Adam with the Law and raises him (or her) to new life with the clear, unvarnished Word of forgiveness for Jesus’ sake. Of course you would tie in the readings from scripture from that day and make it relate to the congregants in some general way. As Christians we have the right to expect this be done “to” us in a worship service. Then let the chips fall where they may. Many won’t thank you for doing this (especially the Law part that exposes them), but I say tough. That is your job as a preacher…slay ’em and raise ’em. If this is not done then they might as well have stayed home and watched the ballgame.