The Daily Prayer page has been updated for the next seven days, taking us through the Fourth Sunday of Advent and into our Christmas Festival and season.
This week’s highlights include:
- the commemoration of Katharina von Bora Luther, Renewer of the Church, on December 20
- daily lectionary readings for the Monday after the Fourth Sunday in Advent, to be used prior to sunset on December 24
- readings and prayers for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
- daily lectionary readings for December 26, based on the Christmas season
- readings and prayers for the Festival of Stephen, Deacon and Martyr, December 26
- (Occasions such as this challenge me. I love the Revised Common Daily Lectionary and its orientation toward the major festivals of the church. Should we, in these days following Christmas, read and pray according to the propers of the season of Christmas, a major festival, or according to the propers of the "lesser festivals" that fall within the season? In the midst of the season of Pentecost or Epiphany the choice seems easy to me – follow the lesser festival – but in this season of Christmas I am inclined to follow the propers for the season. Of course, if I were to pray twice per day I could do both . . .)
Let us pray.